Today Is Lamington Day
A popular Australian cake, the Lamington consists of squares of sponge cake rolled in chocolate or raspberry sauce and then rolled in dessicated coconut.
It is beleived that the cake was named after Lord Lamington who was Governor of Queensland from 1896 to 1901, or his wife Lady Lamington. No-one really knows which for sure.
Popular in New zealand too, the humble Lamington is often chosen as a cake to be sold for charitable collections such as the Scouts.
It was also on this day in 2011 that the Space Shuttle program was shut down after 135 missions.
this day in 2007 saw the last book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, released by author J.K. Rowling.
1/2 cup (115g) caster sugar
2/3 cup (100g) self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla paste
2 cups (300g) icing sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups (170g) desiccated coconut
A few drops of rose pink food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced) and line a 20cm x 30 cm lamington tray with baking paper.
- Place the eggs and caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high for a few minutes or until pale and fluffy.
- Gently fold in the flour and vanilla paste, then spoon into the prepared tray. Smooth over the top and bake for 15 minutes or until golden and firm to touch.
- Once completely cool, slice the cake into 20 or so even-sized squares.
- To make the icing, place half the icing sugar in one bowl with the cocoa powder and stir in 2 tbsp boiling water. Stir, adding more water if necessary, until you have a smooth, slightly runny paste.
- Place the coconut in a separate bowl. In another bowl, place the other half of the icing sugar and a couple of drops of pink icing sugar, again adding boiling water until you have a smooth, runny paste.
- Dip half of the sponge squares into the cocoa icing mixture, coating them on all sides before tossing in the bowl of coconut until all sides are flecked with white. Place on a rack so the icing can ‘set’.
- Repeat this process with the pink icing mixture.
Join To Get New Posts And Art To Your Inbox